Malted Millet

So I grew millet in my garden this year and I wanted to come up with an interesting way to eat it.  I read that if you malt grains, it makes them more nutritious, so I thought I would give it a try with a small amount of the millet.  This involved sprouting and then drying the grain.  I used a handkerchief to hold the millet so I could rinse it every 8 hours or so.  It took about two days for it to look like this:


Then, I let it dry out for a day.  After that, I dry roasted the grain over low heat until it smelled nutty.  I let it cool, and ground it in my handy mortar and pestle, like this.


It was surprisingly easy to grind.


Since it was only a small amount of grain, I used it to make porridge.  I boiled 2 cups of milk and added 3 Tbs. of the millet flour, then stirred it until it thickened.  It didn't get as thick as I had hoped, but I think that this was because I hadn't ground the millet into as fine of a flour as would have been ideal for making porridge.  Nevertheless, I was very pleased by the fact that I had grown the millet from seed and did the whole process of making it into flour.


I felt like the little red hen.

Comments

Post a Comment