Sisterly Inspiration Potato Tart

So, I attempted to grow Irish (as opposed to sweet) potatoes in my garden here in hot Soroti.  It turned out that when we went without rain for a week or so, the plants shriveled up (and were eaten by chickens).  They were looking about like how potato plants look at the end of the summer in the US when it is time to harvest the potatoes.  So I figured that I might as well try and see what I got.  Well, I got a bunch of "new" potatoes.  Better than nothing! 

It turned out that this harvest happened pretty much the day after my sister posted an amazing looking new potato tatin on her blog.  I was inspired (how could I not be with such an inspiring sister?).  It looked really good, like everything she makes, but I didn't have all of the exact same ingredients.  So I did the best I could with what I had.







For the crust:
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. (1 stick) cold butter, cut into cubes
1/3 c. plain yogurt

And the topping:
1 lb new potatoes
5 green onions
2 large tomatoes
3 oz. Gouda cheese, sliced
a few fresh sage leaves

First, make the crust by mixing together the dry ingredients, cutting in the butter, then mixing in the yogurt, and chill it for an hour.  Fry the potatoes and onions in olive oil.  Slice the tomatoes and cheese.  Roll the crust out and put on greased cookie sheet (parchment paper would probably help, but I don't have any).  Place the cheese slices on it.  Then, pour the potatoes and onions over it.  Arrange the tomato slices on top, sprinkle with sage, and fold the edges of the crust up.  Bake at 400F? (no oven thermometer, but it sure got hot in the kitchen!) for 15-20 min.

Comments

  1. That looks delicious! Well done adapting that recipe to work with what you have available - impressive, as always. I'm glad I could inspire, and I love that we made a similar dish in our far-from-each-other kitchens. xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment