Dosa and Jaggery

Since there is such a large population of Indians in Uganda, pretty much any ingredient you may want for making Indian food is available in the supermarkets (which are largely run by Indians).  Thus, along with Ugandan food, you will also be seeing me making a lot of Indian food from now on. 

I have also decided that since I enjoy cooking, I would start buying at least one interesting thing when I go to the supermarket.  One such item that I purchased recently is jaggery.  It is a form of sugar from sugarcane.


I tried out these little Indian pancakes called dosa.
I used:
1/2 c. millet flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. jaggery, grated
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
about 1 c. water (enough to make pancake-batter consistency)


Then, I cooked them like pancakes on an ungreased pan.


They turned out kind of firm and chewy consistency, more than a pancake.  I enjoyed them and even Anthony thought they were good!

Comments